Graduate Grants & Scholarships

GPSA is pleased to offer four different grants to students looking to fund their research, travel expenses, professional development, and/or the cost of research materials for this Fall 2020 Grant Cycle. They are:

  • Student Research Grant (SRG)May fund travel and lodging to conduct research in the field (includes artistic projects like photography or dance), the cost of research materials, and/or travel/lodging and conference fees for conferences at which the applicant is making a presentation. Offered every fall, spring and summer semester. Up to $500.
  • Professional Development Grant (PDG)May fund travel/lodging and fees for job interviews, auditions, clinicals, mock trials, unpaid internships, conferences at which the applicant is not making a presentation, and other professional development travel or related expenses. May not fund expenses eligible for the SRG. Offered every fall, spring and summer semester. Up to $500.

  • New Mexico Research Grant (NMRG)May fund travel, lodging, supplies, and other costs related to field research. Projects with a New Mexico state agency, nonprofit or community organization require a letter of recommendation from a representative of the organization, and are eligible for up to $5000 (High Priority). Other research projects are eligible for up to $3000 (General Priority)Offered during fall semester only. 

  • Graduate Scholarship Fund (GSF): In addition to our grants, each summer, fall, and spring semester we offer the Graduate Scholarship Fund (GSF) - a $1,000, need-based scholarship to help graduate students offset the cost of tuition, books, and fees.

Application Information

The Fall 2020 Grant Cycle will open on Friday, August 28, 2020 and will close on Friday, September 18, 2020 at 12:00 pm MST. All grants must be applied online via our Grants website. 

Applicant Workshop

This presentation is intended to help guide graduate student applicants in identifying details and requirements regarding grants applications for the Fall 2020 semester. Below is the schedule of the workshops to be conducted:

31st August, 20201:00 PM - 2:30 PM (MST)
8th September, 20201:00 PM - 2:30 PM (MST)
11th September, 20201:00 PM - 2:30 PM (MST)


Grant Applicant Workshop PowerPoint Slides
Grant Applicant Workshop Recording

International Students Applying for Graduate Scholarship Fund (GSF)

Since international students cannot apply/submit a FAFSA Form, applicants will need to fill out and submit the State Aid Form in the place of FAFSA to complete the application for the Graduate Scholarship Fund (GSF).

Go to this LINK and go to 2020/2021 and then under Requests and Agreements Table, you will find the State Aid Application Form.

Make sure you double check with the UNM Financial Aid Office regarding State Aid Application Office.


Note: All the workshops will be virtual in Fall 2020 due to UNM policies and SHAC recommendations. 

Please email for any questions.