The GPSA has been the recognized Graduate and Professional Student Government at the University of New Mexico since 1969. We strive to identify, promote, and support the interests and concerns that are important to the welfare and academic development of graduate/professional students at UNM. It is our mission to represent students on issues ranging from research grants to health insurance to academic freedom.
What We're About
Our goal is to enhance the academic and intellectual environment for the graduate and professional students at the University of New Mexico and to promote the rights, interests and professional development of graduate and professional students within the university community, through advocacy, education, and financial support. Some of the ways the GPSA stays involved on campus, in state and national politics include:
- Offering numerous grant funding opportunities to graduate and professional students for research, travel, and presentation of their work at conferences.
- Offering a twice yearly $1,000 graduate scholarship to graduate students seeking to complete their degrees.
- Representing Graduate and Professional students on numerous University and Faculty Senate committees and before the Board of Regents.
- Representing Graduate and Professional students on the Student Fee Review Board (SFRB).
- Giving students the opportunity to represent their departments on the GPSA Council.
- Sending GPSA representatives to the New Mexico State Legislature to lobby for graduate students' interests.
- Networking with the National Association of Graduate and Professional Students (NAGPS) and the NAGPS Western Region.
- Providing a computer lab with discounted printing located in our office, SUB 1021.
Much like the US government, GPSA is organized into 3 branches: Executive, Legislative, and Judicial. Together, each of these branches oversees the day-to-day operation of GPSA.
- Executive: Made up of the GPSA President, Chief of Staff and Executive Committees Chairs. The Executive serves as the official representative of GPSA to the Board of Regents and the public.
- Student Council (Legislative): Consists of the Council Chair and Recognized Departmental Student Associations (RDSA) Representatives. The Student Council is the heart of GPSA, representing a broad spectrum of student interests across campus.
- Court of Review (Judicial): Made up of the Chief Justice and two Associate Justices, the Court of handles internal GPSA disputes.
2014-2015: Texanna Martin
2013-2014: Priscila Poliana
2012-2013: Marisa Silva
2011-2012: Katie Richardson
2010-2011: Lissa Knudsen
Annual GPSA Budget